Saturday, September 25, 2010

Water That's Alive

Its interesting that Jesus likened Holy Spirit to water that is alive.  Its like He's telling us about his battery or fuel - what we can receive to run our engine.  So that's a crude illustration, but then again water is kind of too.

John 7:37-39 (NIV)

 37On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38Whoever believes in me, as[a] the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." 39By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.


I was having a glass of water the other day and had to think about how our bodies are made up of such a high percentage of water - Babies: 78%, Adult men:60%. (Wiki.answers.com).  I was thinking about how water soaks into every part of our bodies and what it would be like if I let Holy Spirit do the same - soak into every part of my body. 


I think from the Lord's perspective we spend most of our time sitting on the bank of the river.  We look at the river, we study and learn about the river, and we like the sound of the river.  Its peaceful to just sit by the river.  But when someone gets crazy enough to jump in the river we think they are nuts and just want attention, and sometimes that's true.


But for those of us who jump in, well, we really don't know how to swim, much less float on our backs so when we do we usually can't stay in the river real long. It takes a LOT of surrender and trust to live (or maybe I should say die to self) in the river.  And there is no room for control.  Thankfully we can walk in slowly like Ezekiel did in his vision (Ezekial 47:3-5).  


One thing for certain, going to Jesus and receiving Life from Him is impossible unless we believe in our heart and recognize that we need this Life. Simply drawing near with the right words will never be enough  because Jesus will honor our choice to withhold our heart from him, letting us just gather information about Him instead.    




Isaiah 29:13
The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men.
















2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post....from one Spirit-filled writer to another, this was truly inspiring! God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the Ezekiel type entry is good. Even then, though, I keep stepping into holes that are deeper than I expected and gasp in panic...

    ~Edris

    ReplyDelete

What's on your heart?